Monday, July 18, 2011

delooming things

I'm a procrastinator. I love to get things done, yet there is a hitch in my getthingsdone that prevents me from getting around to the getting done of things. The hitch is me.

I'm the problem. Yep, it's definitely me.

I admit it.

One of the scariest things I've learned as a parent is that my kids do or say or think the same actions or words or ideas as me.

Mirrors.

Sometimes that's good, but sometimes it's decidedly disappointing.

I'm a procrastinator and I have passed on my procrastinatorly ways.

Mo has a lot of post-graduation and post-Kenya trip 'thank you' notes to write. This morning we were talking about them and she, or maybe it was Steve, used the word 'looming' to describe them.

Looming.

Looming things.

Things loom.

I have a lot of things to deloom. The procrastinator in me detests the to-do lists but the artist in me is intrigued by the possibilites of delooming.

Simplicity.

Negative space.

Peace.

These things await those who master the art of delooming.

Today is my Delooming Day. I'll delight in every little thing that gets undone.

3 comments:

Tracy P. said...

Oh. my. word. So nice of you to write this for me. One less looming thing in my world. Perfect.

dkzody said...

How funny...I am NOT a procrastinator. Just the opposite. I do things way before the DUE DATE. My daughter? Hah. She procrastinates right up to the very last second. When she was in high school, she would wait until the night before to write a lengthy paper due the next day. No time for editing, rewriting, proofreading. She wrote and turned it in. And got an A. Drove me crazy. There should be consequences for procrastinators. But, alas, all these years, she still does it, and she can still pull it off at the last second. She has a BA, an MDiv, and a pastorate, all accomplished on procrastination.

dkzody said...

How funny...I am NOT a procrastinator. Just the opposite. I do things way before the DUE DATE. My daughter? Hah. She procrastinates right up to the very last second. When she was in high school, she would wait until the night before to write a lengthy paper due the next day. No time for editing, rewriting, proofreading. She wrote and turned it in. And got an A. Drove me crazy. There should be consequences for procrastinators. But, alas, all these years, she still does it, and she can still pull it off at the last second. She has a BA, an MDiv, and a pastorate, all accomplished on procrastination.