Friday, June 3, 2011

pak choi and swiss chard and rad - ishes!


We've joined a CSA - Snipes Farm.

Yesterday we got our first distribution.




Tonight Mo and I made bruschetta with pea greens, Swiss chard, an onion, and basil from our share. We also got radishes, pak choi, 1/2 head of lettuce, broccoli, and we took the potatoes because our partner offered to keep the beet.

Along with the perishable food, there was potential food - a pepper plant which I planted last night. I am the keeper of the pepper! I hope it survives and produces at least two of them. While I was planting the pepper, I discovered some teeny tiny volunteer cherry tomato plants that came up from the frostbitten tomatos I left on the vine last fall. More potential.

FYI - Pea greens taste like peas. Swiss chard tastes a bit (ok...a lot) like dirt, but it is a nice dirt flavor.

I have no idea what to do with pak choi.

And here is the slightly researched but mostly based on instinct recipe.


Pea Greens and Swiss Chard Bruschetta

Pea greens, a large handful
Swiss chard, several leaves
Basil, a couple large leaves
Garlic, 2 cloves, pressed for the topping and 1 clove, pressed for the bread
Tomato or two
Onion, 1/2 small
Olive oil, 1 T for the topping and several T for the bread
Balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp
Lemon juice, 1 tsp
Salt
Pepper

Chop the pea greens, swiss chard, a couple of basil leaves, press a couple cloves of garlic, chop some tomato and onion. Add about a tablespoon of olive oil and about a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar - but the ratios I saw on other recipes were sometimes 1-1, so if you like vinegar don't be stingy. One of us doesn't like vinegar, so we went light. Add about a tsp of lemon juice, some salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Brush the bread with an olive oil/garlic mixture and toast at 425 for about 2 minutes.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I've never even heard of pak choi!!!! But your bruschetta looks tasty!!!