Monday, March 7, 2011

The B Side

I learned this past week that Johnny Preston died. He was the artist who performed the classic song Running Bear.




Running Bear is one of the songs I associate with my childhood and my teenage years because it was on our jukebox. Here's a bit from a blog post in which I talked about our jukebox:

" I got a couple of slots to myself. I remember listening to Blondie's Heart of Glass and some Loverboy too. It was fun to hang out with my friends and listen to my records with that thumpin' jukebox bass.

The jukebox taught me to love the Moody Blues' Nights in White Satin, The Beatles' Twist and Shout, and Willie Nelson singing Blue Skies. I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. I spent many nights playing with candles, eating peanuts while my parents played cards with their friends, and letting the lyrics take me places.

But I never could like that song Forever in Blue Jeans. Neil Diamond freaked me out. "

Occasionally I get the urge to make a list of all the records I can remember from the Jukebox. I'd like to make an iTunes Jukebox folder and hear them again in some sort of context. So rather than brush off the urge again, I'm starting here and now. I guess it'll be a work in progress. I'm not sure I'll be able to find out what was on the B side of some of the songs, but I know I'll recognize it if I see it.

Sometimes the B sides got played as much as the A sides. Some of them I can't remember at all.

Beatles - Twist and Shout / There's a Place
Blondie - Heart of Glass / The Tide is High
Buddy Holly - Every Day / Peggy Sue
The Doors - Light my Fire / ?
Doug Kershaw - Natural Man / Mama Said Yeah
Joe Tex - Ain't Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman) / I Mess up Everything I Get my Hands on
Johnny Preston - Running Bear / Cradle of Love
Loverboy - Turn Me Loose / Prissy Prissy
Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin / Tuesday Afternoon
Neil Diamond - Forever in Blue Jeans / Remember Me
Neil Young - Heart of Gold / Sugar Mountain
The Platters - Great Pretender / ?
Willie Nelson - Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain / Bandera
Willie Nelson - Blue Skies / Georgia on my Mind

And one song with so much profanity that I just can't bring myself to list it here. But if you know the one that has to do with a truck and rodeo and being the teensiest bit angry, well, that's the one.

No comments: