Saturday, November 6, 2010

Still Running

It's past midnight and I really should be sleeping. I can't go there now, so I am here.
*
My brain is full. Maybe dumping some of what's on my mind will help?
*
I started running two (2!) months ago and I can now run 25 minutes straight. No stops or walks. My run is often more of a trudge. Perhaps it's as slow as a walk at times. I press on. The goal is to run a 5K at the end of November. Steve is working toward that too. It's fun to have a common goal outside of our daily routine, a goal that doesn't revolve around marriage or kids.
*
We used the Couch-to-5K Running Plan to get started. At first, it's a thirty minute walk with occasional run time. I wasn't strict about the schedule. If I thought I couldn't advance, I repeated a workout. I took some days off in Week 4 when my knees screamed, "HEY! WE ARE 45 YEARS OLD...WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!?" There are two options to the plan, timed runs or distance runs. I got an app for my iPhone that gives voice prompts so I'd know when to walk and when to run. I didn't even measure distance until a couple weeks ago.
*
I am slow.
*
Since I am doing the longer runs now, I've switched to Nike+GPS. It updates me on my pace, time and distance. After a run, I can look at the map and see where I was fast and where I was slow. Today I ran 3.26km in 25:18 and burned 207 calories. Unfortunately, I probably drank at least 207 calories in Pepsi tonight. Oh, that is why I can't sleep!


3 comments:

Tracy P. said...

*I am slow.* HA! That is my life! 207 calories seems like a small reward for all that work. Cardiac health is a great reward. Keep it up! I'm so proud of you.

Star Forbis said...

Good job! Speed doesn't matter. Keep on Truckin! :)

imbeingheldhostage said...

oooh, I am jealous!! I got some nike trainers (that's shoes to you yanks) with the plus system in it, downloaded the app and here I sit on my hind end. Good for you-- trudge or not, you're doing it!!