Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Hello/Ciao

Hi all!

I am in an office at Il Faro listening to the kids practice a Christmas skit while Jacki is in a meeting. I'm waiting for my camera batteries to charge so I can download some pictures and enjoying a bit of alone time.

I've wondered what to write about the trip so far. Italy is amazing. It's beautiful. The weather has been divine. Traffic is insane. The food is delectable. We've smelled sulphur from a dormant (?) volcano. We've seen the port Paul landed at so many years ago.

God is at work.

There are so many great things going on here, and I find myself frustrated by my inability to communicate. Even though we worked on a few phrases ahead of time, I still find myself tongue tied and completely blank when I meet someone new, even the people I've gotten to know. Just a few minutes ago I greeted Claudia, one of the youth workers with, "Hola!" Fortunately, she's quick and responded with "Hola! Como estas?" Sigh.

Here at Il Faro, you're just as likely to hear either English or Italian. It was fun to sing in both Italian and English during the church service. I loved hearing the translation of the two languages whenever anyone spoke. It takes twice as long to say anything!

The kids are still practicing their skit. I can hear that laughter is the same in every language.

4 comments:

Tracy P. said...

You are in Italy??? How did I miss that? How wonderful!

When I've been in a situation where it took twice as long to say anything, I've measured my words more carefully. In my case, I think it worked to my advantage. ;-)

Karen Holt said...

Thanks for posting pictures, blogs, and statements on Facebook so I can live vicariously through you. Italy is my DREAM trip and you are making it sound even more divine than I had thought. Glad to hear you are all doing well!

slouchy said...

Italy.

I am SO envious.

Keep having a blast!

Star Forbis said...

Can't wait to hear more about your trip, and see pic.'s! :) Hope your having an unforgettable time!