Wednesday, May 6, 2009

ba-na-na-na

I bragged on facebook about the incredible banana cake I made today. Karen, my friend since childhood, asked me for the recipe. No, she told me I HAVE to share it. So I did. I e-mailed it to her. As I finished the e-mail, I decided I needed to blog it. It is that good.

Thank me.


Kar,

Banana Loaf
Adapted from Flavorful Favorites of First Baptist.

I had a friend in college who was studying nutrition. She said that you could call a recipe your own if you changed at least 3 ingredients. I may not have changed 3 ingredients, but I think I adapted it enough to call it my own.


Original in regular print
My comments in italics

Baking with Stefanie is always an experience. You have to understand that baking is an inexact science for me...I put this banana bread in a small cake pan and it took a lot less time than I expected. I have no idea what would happen if you follow this exactly. I recommend that you make it however you want to. Make it your own.

Sift together:
Mix in a big bowl:
2 C flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Pretty easy so far...

Blend:
Mix in a smaller bowl:
1 1/2 sticks soft butter - mine melted in the microwave, 35 seconds was too long for softening
1 1/2 C sugar - wow that's a lot of sugar, no wonder it's good
2 eggs, beaten - seriously? just crack 'em and mix well

Stir in:
Then stir in the next 3 ingredients and blissfully ignore the following instructions about the last 3 ingredients:
1 C mashed ripe nasty bananas that no one will eat. I used two nasty bananas, it was a little less than a cup.
1/4 C milk
1/2 tsp vanilla - or just pour some in, who measures vanilla?

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir in last 3 ingredients just until blended.
Add the small bowl stuff to the big bowl stuff. Now is when you may notice that you weren't aware of the whole 'just until blended' thing a moment ago.

Pour into greased and floured loaf pans (1 large, 1 small).
Huh? There are different sized loaf pans? Put the batter in whatever you have and hope for the best. I have a small pyrex dish measuring something like 6x8. I sprayed it with store brand cooking spray. Canola oil. All natural. Do people still flour pans?

Bake for approximately 1 hour at 350. Test for doneness.
It was more like 40 minutes and I didn't preheat. I think preheating is a waste of time. Ok, honestly - I just plain forget to preheat most of the time. It was done when it was all golden brown everywhere and the top didn't look wet and it smelled good.

Eat while warm.

You can substitute mashed strawberries for bananas.
How about strawberry banana next time?

Sorry you asked?

I'm blogging this.

stefanie.

8 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

Really? Strawberries for bananas? Now that might be interesting, but then I don't know about the chocolate chips that have to be added.

Rayne said...

This sounds great. I think I am going to try the bananas first, and then go for the strawberries.

Tracy P. said...

Strawberries? Seriously? How yummy that would be!! Wow!

DON'T people still flour pans? Why didn't anyone forward that memo to me???

Rachel said...

Um....I still flour pans. But I also still iron. I live in 1950, apparently.

stefanie said...

No offense meant in the pan flouring...I'm an economist. I'll risk sticky baked goods to avoid investing time in flouring and cleaning up the flour I'm sure to spill everywhere. For me, it's all in the costs and benefits...

Deb said...

okay this was hilarious. the two of us in a kitchen together would be a disaster. a fun disaster, but a disaster, no less.

i am big on improvising and hoping for the best!

sounds so yummy and i have two very gross looking bananas just begging to be consumed.

Tracy P. said...

I may flour, but I don't iron. And I think I just quit flouring. What else could we give each other permission to quit????

br8eyes said...

No flouring (sorry, but I'm a Pam user!) or ironing here! But this recipe is a new must-have for me! I absolutely LOVE banana bread! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm going to print it up for my recipe file right now! he he

The other Stefanie :)