Wednesday, April 15, 2009

very, very, very good advice needed, really

I'm not a very good writer.

I read good writers and I recognize good writing. Good writing carries me to the next sentence, to the next chapter, to the last page. Good writing leaves me hungry for more. Good writers find better adjectives than 'good'.

I read good writers and I recognize good writing. I cannot stop writing sentences that have the word 'and' in the middle. I recognized this when I was in high school and I have yet to figure out how to stop. I hope someone can help me identify my problem and give me a solution.

Good writing carries me to the next sentence, the next chapter, to the last page. It does not read like an endless grocery list. I list, restate, rephrase. Blah, blah, blah. On and on and on.

Good writing leaves me hungry for more. My cliches could induce vomiting.

Good writers find better adjectives than 'good'. In fact, good writers do not feel the need to use a very emphatic adjective for every important noun and they never write run-on sentences and they make me really, really jealous because they know how to use their commas.

I would like to be a skillful writer. I'd settle for competent.

14 comments:

It's Always Something Around Here said...

Oh I could have written this exact post myself. I have really been struggling with my blgging lately, partly because I am not a good writer at all.

ConverseMomma said...

I think you are much better than you think. I believe in your ability to put it down.

slouching mom said...

You ARE a good writer. So there. (I have the 'and' problem, too.)

Rachel said...

I've been feeling the exact same way. And then I wonder what the point is of even trying to finish the thing when it's all such rubbish? But - I've been told that all writers feel that way. I don't know if that's true or not. I'm holding onto it for dear life, though.

Denise K. said...

Ah, I love good writing too, and love how words sound when they just flow off your tongue! I think YOU are a good writer, and just don't see it the way we do! :-)

Tracy P. said...

I think Rachel put her finger on your problem. You ARE a writer, and you can't achieve your own standard. Probably because you raise it every time you reach it. My problem is sentence fragments. I put a period after the original sentence, and rather than creating another one, I follow it with the fragment that would have followed a comma and and. But you know, it's me. I'm a slow processor, and just when I think I have finished a thought, I realize I have something else to say about it.

I love your writing. I wouldn't know you any other way, and I love the you that I know from your writing. ;-)

Deb said...

well, i don't know about all that good stuff that good writers are supposed to be good at, but i do know that what you write moves me. on a very frequent basis. i laugh. i cry. i get stumped. i wonder. i realize. i take the journey.

but, i guess i must be a better writer than you since, instead of linking all those lovely two word sentences together with the word 'and', i simply left them alone, in all their grammatically lame glory.

now snap out of it, chica... you've got it going ON.

Woman in a Window said...

HA! I'm so laughing over this. Your are a great writer! And I start sentences with and. So there.

flutter said...

are you going to make me kick you in the teeth?

Dude, seriously?

give yourself some credit.

anita ovolina said...

You write well, but you already know that. Doubt is part of the process otherwise how would you move forward?
:)

Cat said...

I am so glad to have the 'and' problem along with you! We are not alone!

angie said...

Me too. Although, to be fair.....your sentences ALWAYS lead me to the next one! :) I think you are MORE than competent.

Straight to Your Hart said...

Oh, my you keep me in complete focus and wanting more..So fluid you are with your words..

I find that you bring comfort especially for me. Thank you!

Laski said...

I speak with some level of authority . . . you. are. inspiring.

Your words inspire.

Your story inspires.

Believe it . . .