Friday, April 24, 2009

Do something (Part 2)

I wrote this back in October. I watched a video that reminded me of it today.

I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I live in a wealthy suburb. I go to a wealthy church. I can choose to keep myself separate, sheltered from the ugly reality of poverty and starvation. I can do that easily. I can close this draft because it's hard for me to write when I am uncomfortable with myself. I'm not going to. This is going to come out choppy and awkward and I don't care.

You can click away right now, but I hope you won't.

I want to know. I want to help when I can. Here's a way I can do something.

I read Licia's Real Hope for Haiti Rescue Center blog. It's hard sometimes. The pictures and stories of real people that they minister to are brutal and beautiful and they make me want to weep. I am amazed by the work they do.

Licia linked today to a video on her sister Lori's blog that I hope you'll watch to the end.

Listen to their dad.

Listen and do something.

3 comments:

Tracy P. said...

I watched. Thank you Stefanie.

The thing I thought was ironic was the beautiful, polished quality of the video, in contrast to the bleakness of the situation there. However, there is a power at work in the poverty of the people that we sometimes fail to see from our positions of wealth. It is true Hope. Without the pretense of thinking "we can do it ourselves." Beautiful.

Denise K. said...

I need to go watch Stefanie...BUT I know it is going to make me sad, and cry, and I do so much of that lately with the loss of my folks. Sadness magnifies others suffering too...I need to watch, and make a difference...thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll check it out...

Woman in a Window said...

OK, you asked and so I go. But I know, this isn't going to be easy...

(Love your new header - light and free.)