Sunday, February 8, 2009

Full Circle

She called her college bound son outside the night before he left.

"See it? I will always see it too. It will keep us close, no matter where you go."

~~~~~

We were driving east toward the mountains early one evening when I saw the top of the full moon. I watched it rising in the low place between peaks. It got bigger and bigger and then broke free, floating in the vee, there in the darkening sky. We turned south on the freeway and I kept watching, hypnotized by its journey. The moon slowly disappeared. Then it started creeping out of the other side of that mountain. It freed itself to be caught again by the next peak. It kept moving though, and finally climbed so high no mountain could swallow it.

No perspective could deny it.

~~~~~

He said to his daughter, "See it? She sees it too."

Months later. From her car seat in the back.

"I see it! Grammy's Moon!"

7 comments:

flutter said...

I totally love this post

Cat said...

How sweet!!!

Woman in a Window said...

So simple and (almost) ever present but isn't it a surprise?

I remember when I was in my early twenties being in St. Vincent and the Grenadines and singing Van Morrison's Moondance to the full moon while my brother-in-law was singing it in Canada. (So he told me.) It was mind boggling to think it true, but it was.

This was lovely.

Straight to Your Hart said...

You mesmerize me with your words...Now it will be "See it..Stefanies moon!"

Tracy P. said...

Comforting words!

angie said...

Totally mesmerizing......those few words said a lot!

Deb said...

kind of like the ties that bind.