Monday, February 16, 2009

25ish sort of random things of my choosing

I've been tagged so many times on facebook, I cannot move on until I write this.
  • I am loved, forgiven, and free.
  • I was born with a heart murmur.
  • I grew up in a yellow house and my favorite color was yellow.
  • There were six other girls in my neighborhood that were within one year (either older or younger) than me. We were the best of friends when we weren’t being the worst of friends.
  • I have always loved to read.
  • I figured out how to do well in school when I was in 5th grade and got the best grade in the class on a Social Studies test. It was the archaeology/anthropology unit test and I got 100%. I know exactly where I was sitting, who the teacher was, where the classroom was, and the name of the boy I had a crush on. I also know I started shaving my legs that year. I have no idea if there is a relationship between the commencement of leg shaving and the discovery of personal success in the land of academia, and therefore, life. You be the judge.
  • My friend nominated me for class president in 6th grade. I got one vote. It was my own vote. We remained friends. I do not recall if I shaved my legs that day.
  • I started doing acrobats when I was 3 and gymnastics when I was 7. Olga Korbut was my first hero. My favorite moment in gymnastics was in 10th grade when I got 2nd on beam in the district meet. I remember catching one of the coaches eyes right before I dismounted. I just stopped and smiled at her. I was completely in ‘the zone’. There was not a single move that I could have done better than I did. It was a beautiful experience. I shaved that day, for sure.
  • We used to run a mile before every gymnastics practice. I wish I had kept running.
  • Steve and I met on a blind date. I had looked at him once before, though.
  • There was a time in my life where I could have and probably did curse better (or worse) than anyone you have ever heard. If there were a world record for the longest, most colorful, most complicated string of profanity, I could have topped it. It was an ugly addiction, and it took an act of God for me to be healed.
  • Considering the previous fact, it is a bit surprising that I am married to a pastor.
  • We were married in 1988. My legs were smooth that day.
  • I graduated from high school in 1983 and college in 1991. I took a four year break after two years of higher education to move to another state, work in the real world, get married, and find peace with God. It was an education sandwich, of sorts. I consider the four years of real world education that came in the middle of the sandwich to be more valuable than the two two-year slices of university education.
  • I graduated from CSU cum laude. I have a BS in Agricultural Economics with a concentration in Natural Resource Economics. Some of my family came to my graduation. I got a new dress and everything. Shaving is a must if you’re a girl and you’re gonna walk in that gown.
  • I have never worked in my field of study.
  • It took 8 years for us to pay off our student loans.
  • I am still glad I finished my degree.
  • I found out I was pregnant with Mo the day I found my first grey hair.
  • I quit nursing Mo the day I confirmed I was pregnant with El.
  • I was happy to never give birth again. Or nurse.
  • Steve was glad when the fog of having two children in 18 months lifted, and I remembered to shave my legs again regularly.
  • Steve is much easier to live with than I am.
  • My mom died 10 years ago. I miss her. One of the things that helped me most in my grieving was when a little old lady at church told me that she still missed her mom.
  • My kids are smarter, more mature, and finer people than I was at their age.
  • I love Pepsi, Skittles, chips and salsa, French onion dip on a spoon, mostly any kind of soup, and fresh baked bread. I am happiest when alternating sweet with salty. Doritos with French onion dip followed by chocolate covered peanut clusters comes to mind. If I wasn’t responsible for feeding a family, I would not eat many healthy foods. I would have Pepsi and Skittles for breakfast, chips and salsa for lunch, and soup and bread for dinner. Yeah, that would be a most excellent food day.
  • Peppermint is one of my favorite flavors.
  • Milk? Blech.
  • I procrastinate. I am doing this right now to avoid doing something else. Shaving my legs, perhaps.
  • Once I start, it’s hard to for me to stop. Did you notice?
  • I have always wanted to write, but I hate the writing process nearly as much as I hate shaving my legs.
  • I like details. See above.
  • I love words. Murmur is a good one.
  • I long to hear the words, “Well done, good and faithful servant!” I sincerely hope the words will apply to how well I’ve lived, and not to how well I’ve shaved.
  • 7 comments:

    Tracy P. said...

    Oh my gosh. My 25 are totally, incredibly boring compared to yours. I LOVED Olga Korbut. I can totally picture her turned inside out and smiling on that crazy beam. Ow! I think I should go shave now.

    Woman in a Window said...

    I'm so glad I came here and read this. You almost made a horrible mistake. Skittles and salsa and chocolate and soup, it's all good. But definitely not Pepsi. Coke!

    Straight to Your Hart said...

    I shaved right before I got on the computer tonight! tehe

    I love how you brought in the shaving rituals...made me think how often I do shave.

    I love to read what you write.

    Someday I hope to sit down with you and munch on salty and sweet treats, because that is the best way to have them.I love your menu for a day!

    I love your "25ish sort of random things of my choosing" list..and thank you for shaving...giggling

    imbeingheldhostage said...

    THIS was a spectacular lits. Class Prez? ouch. and I loved the leg shaving dispersed throughout. I've been wondering what my legs will look like on Sundays if I stop shaving until my Hubby returns in 6th months.

    Erin's right you know, it's coke. But I love you anyway. ;-)

    Deb said...

    i guess the only thing i am super surprised about is the cussing. oh, and that you only got one vote. i ran for class president in high school and i probably got fewer votes that you did.

    fascinating list and i love how you tied it all together.

    Star Forbis said...

    Fun! I loved reading your Randomness! (But, now I feel like I need to go shave my legs) ;)

    angie said...

    This is such a wonderful list. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love gymnastics.......watching it that is. :)