Saturday, January 31, 2009

Blogiversary Gratefuls

101. No more milestones on the horizon.

102. The lesson on pride that I needed to hear.

Now to do it.

In Vertically Inclined by Mary Kassian, session 3, she taught, "Pride compares." It's pretty easy to find ways to compare myself to others and come out feeling good. This is pride. It is sin. But the flipside to this truth is, I often compare myself to others and come out feeling crummy. They are prettier, better, smarter, funnier. This is pride. This is a sin. I need to stop comparing.

Pride compares.


Luke 18:10-14
"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'
"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Psalm 139:14
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

Romans 15:7
Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.

5 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

See? And this is where I am both confusing and confused. In spite of my nonreligous beliefs, this speaks to me deeply. I try. I try often, but not often enough.

stefanie said...

Erin, email coming.

flutter said...

this is truly lovely

Straight to Your Hart said...

As I am brushing the tears away...Thank you. Hugs....

Deb said...

okay, miss stefanie, this is a big one. don't take this down... EVER... because i am bookmarking it to read daily. and i don't think it is a coincidence that i am reading this now. it ties in with some of the "first posts" i read, as well as the first post i wrote... my feelings of self doubt because i COMPARE! aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

so thanks. i obviously needed this. God is hitting me over the head.