Monday, November 10, 2008

Let your fingers do the walking...

Because over 300 million children worldwide have never owned a pair of shoes

Because disaster strikes

Because some have to carry water for miles -- barefoot

Because people are working in landfills without proper protection for their feet

Because there are many, many more reasons



The 50,000 Pairs in 50 Days Challenge

Your $5 donation buys 2 pairs of shoes.

For someone.

Somewhere.

http://www.50000shoes.com


Walk on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I first heard about this at Anne Jackson's blog.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FYI - from the press release for this campaign:

After 50,000 pairs have been donated, one person (with a guest of their choosing) will be selected at random to deliver the shoes they purchased to someone in need on one of Soles4Souls' trips to Mexico!


Nashville-based Soles4Souls™ facilitates the donations of both new and used shoes, which are used to aid the hurting worldwide. Since its inception, Soles4Souls has distributed more than 3.5 million pairs (or one pair every 23 seconds) to people in 61 countries, including Honduras, Romania, Thailand, and the Sudan. The charity has been featured on CNN Headline News, NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, ABC News, FOX, CBS, and hundreds of regional outlets around North America. Soles4Souls is a 501(c)(3) recognized by the IRS; donating parties are eligible for tax advantages. Visit www.giveshoes.org for more information.

8 comments:

Denise K. said...

What an awesome cause!!! Thanks for bringing our attention to it and I will be sure and check out the website! Thanks Stefanie! :-)

Sissy said...

That really is an wonderful thing to give towards.

And, I read the post about the Blog Beast...great insight. I often feel like I can't keep up. And there certainly are women out there who are blogging everyday and contribute in a lot of areas. I haven't had that kind of time in awhile and I have to figure out what my priorities are. Do I iron pants for work tomorrow or blog? Hmmm. Pants might be the smarter choice. I appreciate what you said and I won't feel at all bad that you may not comment back. Just wanted to say that I have been there and will be there again someday.

womaninawindow said...

So many just causes in the world. Wish there were as many just causes as indecencies.

WheresMyAngels said...

What a good one. I need to post about the Reece's Christmas tree button I have up sometime.

Straight to Your Hart said...

Shoes...several pairs we can't decide on to wear for one day ..and yet so many who need even 1 pair. Thank you for bringing it to our attention!

angie said...

Wow. Reading this makes me really thankful for always having shoes.....they are a blessing!

crazymumma said...

I cannot imagine not having shoes. What a world.

Deb said...

i am not sure how i missed this... must have been when i was feeling sorry for myself.

when it is SO easy to only focus on ourselves, thanks for reminding us that it is even EASIER to make a big difference in the lives of others.