Monday, October 6, 2008

Tag is exhausting


I was tagged by Melanie at Straight to Your Hart. Her list is much more interesting than mine!


RULES, because you know these tags always have rules . . .

1. Link your tagger and list these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Okay, here are 7 facts about myself:

1. I count things without knowing I am counting. This useless talent applies to monotonous or repetitive sounds only. For example, when someone’s car alarm goes off, I always know how many times it beeped when it quits. I don’t count intentionally, I just know how many there were when whatever it was ends. Sneezes, cycles of a siren as it nears and passes by, dryer and kitchen timer beeps get counted. Also, I unconsciously count how many seconds silences or long noises last. Time between lightning and thunder, or Emergency Broadcast System tones come to mind. Fortunately, I get to forget the number of counted things once I acknowledge said number. I usually keep the number to myself.

2. My favorite candy is Skittles. Original Skittles. I sort my skittles and eat one color at a time. I usually begin with orange or give them to El. Orange is my least favorite flavor. Green and red go somewhere in the middle. I usually end with yellow or purple. Sometimes I give the purple to Mo because they are her favorite. It depends on how good I am at sharing my candy that day.

3. Once I stole a piece of candy. Remember those old Brach’s Pick a Mix bins? I put one piece in my right coat pocket. My mom asked me if I had taken something. I lied. The candy sat in that pocket until the next year as a daily reminder of my sin. I’m pretty sure she knew it was there. She let me live with it. I haven’t enjoyed butterscotch since.

4. In a related incident, one year I opened all my Christmas presents to see what I was getting. The presents were all under the tree about a week before the big day, and I carefully lifted the tape from the edges to peek inside. Then I pushed the tape firmly back into place. It was horrible to know what was in every package. No surprises. A couple of years later when I confessed, my mom told me that she had known. She figured it out when the tape wasn’t sticking on one side of all my packages. She also figured out that she could add nothing to the lesson I learned. She was a wise woman. To this day, I will delay opening a present as long as possible.

5. If I have several things to do, I always want to do the worst one first. This is a problem at work when I am learning something new. It would make more sense to ease my way into the harder task, but I just can’t do the easiest thing first. I like to do the easiest thing last.

6. I don’t fit the typical female stereotypes. I often have fewer words to say than Steve does. I throw out answers to problems when he just wants a sympathetic ear. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but once got I last place in ‘Who’s the Most Romantic’ at a lingerie party. The fact that I even went to a lingerie party is shocking to me. But it was a bunch of married Christian women, so it was sort of tasteful. I believe I collected two points of a possible twenty five, and my prize was a pink feather boa. I forgot to take it home. The upside to this is if Steve participated in the ‘Who’s the Most Romantic’ competition he would win. He’d get the twenty three points that I didn’t.

7. I highly recommend that you get to know what makes you, well, you. One way to do that is by taking Gallup’s Strengths Finder test online and reading the accompanying book. If you buy the book, you get a code to take the test. I know I sound like a commercial, but this tool has been eye-opening and communication inspiring for our family. We even had our kids take the adult test. Now there is a test especially for youth. One of my strengths is INCLUDER, which means that I am going to break the rules of this Tag Game, and declare ALL PLAY. If you read this far, TAG, YOU’RE IT! Grab the button and the rules, and paste them into your post. Let me know if you do, and I’ll link back to you here.


I'm exhausted.

8 comments:

Denise K. said...

It was fun reading about you, even your naughty escapades as a child! hee hee :-) I will remember your mother's technique to remain quiet...I often go into a big lecture and the kids surely are just humiliated. Your mom's technique was much more effective! :-)

Oh boy, this tagging looks like too much work, so I will just be content to read the post! :-)

Straight to Your Hart said...

I loved to read about you..Thank you for participating in the JOY of a Tag..I agree with you..uggg!! The Red is my favorite skittle..A woman of few words...THANK YOU..I need to follow that..Wise!!

womaninawindow said...

Hum, the last one is interesting. Maybe a good game for everyone in my house.

The third one cracked me up. I stole cookies from the cabinet once and put them under my sweater. My mom asked me going up the stairs, what I had under my sweater. Uh, nothin'. I got caught and my guilt was far worse than anything she could have said.

Your mom is one smart cookie!

Chris said...

Tagging is exhausting - who wants to know that much about themselves?
Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my Great Pumpkin post. I think it's hilarious that you quote from the Charlie Brown Christmas. I do too!
In fact, that's my favorite Christmas special, as well. My absolute, all time favorite reading of Luke 2, is by Linus. No Christmas is complete without at least five viewings.

Tracy P. said...

Wow, you did a great job! So how did you eat the candy corn and peanuts if you need to separate your colors? Sorry about the dog! I had to go buy more candy corn because there were too many peanuts. I bet you know what problem I have now!

stefanie said...

Tracy, that's a good question. I have no idea. Maybe because they are different shapes and sizes? Maybe because you sold the two together as a substitute for Salted Nut Rolls?

Chris, I'm with you on the reading of Luke 2. Beautiful.

Erin, yes she was, and I am still putting together something about her, but it's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Mel, thanks for tagging me. Don't do it again. :)

Denise, thanks, that is not even the tip of the iceberg of my escapades. Naughty is too nice of a word. I agree about lecturing the kids. They just hear blah, blah, blah and feel squashed. Ick.

Tracy P. said...

I might need to consider a career in sales, then, huh? The thing I thought was so appealing about the picture is the way you can just see the salt hanging on the candy corn. Maybe that did it. ;-)

stefanie said...

Yes, the picture had a lot to do with it! Steve showed me this today, sorry I'm too tired to do anything but cut and paste right now, but I am definitely getting one of these. Soon. Like in 8 hours.

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_beverage_detail.asp?selProducts=1a655452-1822-4fa2-83aa-118fbd6da6ff&strAction=GETDEFAULT&x=27&y=6