Thursday, October 30, 2008

I was the 80's - and the late 70's



I think this was 1979. I loved that shirt. I wore it out. It was TERRY CLOTH. We must have run out of chairs for the big crowd, so I was sitting on one of our many lawn chairs. Our basement was covered in wood paneling. (This is my friend Karen's dad in the picture. He died last summer. I remember him like this.)

The reason I wanted you to see this picture:

We had a JUKEBOX. See it with the oddly placed pink balloons? Our jukebox was the 14th one down on the page of the link, if you want to check it out. I loved the jukebox. I remember when my dad bought it. My brother and I went along with him to pick it up. My mom had a fit when we brought it home. It was so dirty, she wouldn't allow it in the house. It sat in the garage and I helped clean it with a toothbrush. Did you see all the grill work on the front? That's how I'm so sure which one we had. I remember.

We saved one of the records that came with it, and as far as I know, that record stayed in the jukebox until the day it was sold to it's next owner. Enjoy with me...stick around for the end.





I got a couple of slots to myself. I remember listening to Blondie's Heart of Glass and some Loverboy too. It was fun to hang out with my friends and listen to my records with that thumpin' jukebox bass.

The jukebox taught me to love the Moody Blues' Nights in White Satin, The Beatles' Twist and Shout, and Willie Nelson singing Blue Skies. I get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. I spent many nights playing with candles, eating peanuts while my parents played cards with their friends, and letting the lyrics take me places.

But I never could like that song Forever in Blue Jeans. Neil Diamond freaked me out.


This was probably still 1979. Happy Birthday to me! Do you love the hair and the orange chairs? Apparently the person with the camera didn't like the cake.

This was before braces. I had a parking space between my two front teeth. I'm surprised there are pictures of me smiling then.

That's probably the best tan I ever had, because my friends and I had summer jobs DETASSELING. The hardest job you'll ever love. Too bad I don't have the picture of me and my friends in our TUBE TOPS and shorts carrying our coolers. We were a sight.




1982. Pretty sure I couldn't stuff myself into one of those anymore. I still have this shirt. That makes Steve sad. I'm kind of a saver.



Yep, I had a MULLET. But just for a few minutes. Rodney Reindeer is falling off our shoulders. I still have a couple of those. Did I mention that I'm a saver?




One of my favorite pictures of me. I was celebrating the end of the 80's.



Photobucket

hosted by Where Are My Angels

12 comments:

MamaPoRuski said...

I missed that song, but love the ending! Sounds like you were so Christy McNickel and Little Darlings! Thanks for posting!

WheresMyAngels said...

Holy cow girl, that is my mom's front room and her orange chairs. What is weird, is that I can't remember if those orange chairs are still in her front room. I just asked my husband and he can't remember. They were there so long, that they are branded on my memory.

The first and only outfit I ever made myself was a Terry Cloth jumper in 1981. I was so pround of myself and worn it everywhere. I wonder if my parents have pictures of me in it.

I can't believe you had a juke box! Well we had a player piano, unfortunately,my mothers grandmother misplaced the playing part to it!! lol

Thanks, those are great photo's. I used to be a saver, but now I am trying not to save because we live in a tiny place. It is so hard to get rid of those things, like my Jackson Victory Tour t-shirt.

Straight to Your Hart said...

Oh my orange chairs...had a gold couch that looked just like those chairs!!

The 80s..I really have fond memories of that time..sometimes wish it back...K..not some of the trends..

Love the pictures..Beautiful you were/are!!

Star Forbis said...

I <3 the 80's!
These Pic.'s are SO Great!
I think I had the same outfit (of you with the Birthday cake) and very similar hair. ;)
And I loved the story of the Jukebox. Great post.

Tracy P. said...

I LOVE the jukebox! And the overalls. But I have to admit that while my overalls were my favorite outfit in high school, (whispering now) I think that was the '70s. But just barely!!!

MommyWizdom said...

WOW, I love all those shots! It's funny how they are obviously of you but they still manage to look just like my pictures, you know?

Thanks for sharing. That was a fun post! I don't think I have the guts to post my old photos like you did :-)

Denise K. said...

LOVED your photos!!!! Thanks for sharing your memories, your life! It is so fun to go back and revisit those times isn't it?!? As much as I love going back, there is something so nostalgic in also knowing, we can't ever return. I too had similar cothes and furniture! What fun!!! :-) Time keeps marching on... Thank you for sharing this post!

imbeingheldhostage said...

wow, the memories you just triggered in my brain!! And Rodney the reindeer, holy cow, I had forgotten all about those.
This was such a fun read.

Rhonda said...

I'm an 80's girl too! Come to think of it, in many ways I still am! lol

womaninawindow said...

I read this line, "It was TERRY CLOTH," as this: I was terry cloth, which would have been equally as effective. I am so right there with you and your memories. We however were without jukebox. Good times though, those long nights of cards and beers (for the adults) and me just lurking about.

Stefanie said...

Ok, so I was born early 70's! I lived through the 80's! We did not have a jukebox, but we did, however, have one of those TV, record player, radio numbers all in one floor plan model... ahhh loved those days!!!

angie said...

LOVE these shots. I love the short shorts and tube tops. :) Great legs, btw. :)