Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Don't sit on the cantaloupes...and other rules made for breaking

This has to be fast, so excuse the typos and unfinished thoughts. Maybe I'll come back later and revise. Maybe I'll just leave it raw.

When Steve and I were in Baltimore, we were sitting on a bench near the Baltimore Visitor's Center at the Inner Harbor. It was dark, and we were people watching. A little girl and her dad were walking by.

"Daddy, look at the cantaloupes. Let's go sit on them!"
"The cantaloupes are for looking, not for sitting."

I have no idea what kind of day that dad had had. He was probably really tired from all his tourism, and I'm guessing they were headed to a hotel.

I was frustrated with that dad. I wanted him to let his daughter sit on the cantaloupes. Just for a moment.

I wanted to know who decided the cantaloupes were just for looking.

The next morning, Steve and I went for a walk.

I sat on a cantaloupe.



I wonder what rules I have inflicted on my kids. I wonder if I have prevented some cantaloupe sitting.

It's Wordful Wednesday at Angie's Seven Clown Circus. Go check it out.

9 comments:

angie said...

Oh no. I fear I've prevented some cantaloupe sitting....the worst part is that I'm sure I've done it, I just can't recall when. So I hadn't even felt sorry for it.......until now. :) I'm always so thankful for your great parenting tips.

Live.Love.Eat said...

I try not to prevent cantaloupe sitting but this is a good reminder just in case I have.....especially when I am cranky.

Weeksie50 said...

Good Post.
Fun Picture.

Tiaras and Tantrums said...

(Smiles)

Melissa said...

LOL! I was wondering how one would sit on a cantaloupe. I'm glad you got a chance to do some sitting!

Sissy said...

Sometimes the little kids at my school tell me the strangest things...like we were drawing some bees today and this little girl told me they had "antlers." I almost didn't catch it, but then I thought, no "antenna." Fun times.

Also, I gotta tell ya, the toilet paper thing is just too funny. I am a loyal, and I mean loyal, Charmin fan. Hope their paper doesn't lose inches.

WheresMyAngels said...

Guilty as charged!

womaninawindow said...

I was imagining small roundish real cantaloupes. I was imagining you in a market with a basket filled with cantaloupes, and then finally you on a cantaloupe. I could see why one wouldn't want to sit on a real cantaloupe but a big scoop like that - I'd want to LAY in that cantaloupe!

Thanks for your kind words. Where did you come from?

I love your header picture. Lovely. Did you take that shot?

AVT Coach said...

I know I prevented cataloupe many times as my children were growing up. I hope all the "sitting" I did say yes too is what they remember. Aren't there just so many facets to being a parent. Some days are exceptional. Some days are disasters...but really most days we just do the best we can... and we don't kill them! This was a very thoughtful post! Thanks for your insights!