Monday, October 20, 2008

Blue



She sat in the kitchen at my mother's Singer and made me into a time traveler.


"Grandma had the perfect color for my dress."


This thread my mother chose so many years ago for this day. Not knowing that she would miss out on hearing her hum at the Singer as she finished it. Unknowing, giving so it would be possible. She became part of it.


That winding through time of cotton polyester blend, and chromosomes stretching through me. Stretching through time from long forgotten ones through my almost forgotten grandfather, through my mother and me to her.


The blue of the thread. The blue of the eyes. The Creator's Masterpiece.



13 comments:

Chris said...

I hope it doesn't sound cheesy to say, but I've always enjoyed seeing the threads that connect us to our past, manifest in the succeeding generations.

MommyWizdom said...

That is so beautiful, Stefanie; all of it!

womaninawindow said...

The thread!

I read this twice, because it moved like fabric. Lovely.

That photo at the top is breath taking. BREATH TAKING! Who is it? When is it?

Tracy P. said...

She is breathtaking. My mom "shows up" when I least expect her--as often as not in the questions of my daughter who never met her. Somehow they seem to meet in our conversations, and it would make me bawl if it weren't for the fact that just talking about her seems so satisfying to my little girl. Treasured moments.

Straight to Your Hart said...

BEautiFUL Stefanie!! How linked we are with the very fabric of our lives...you are so good with words..again..beautiful!!

Straight to Your Hart said...

I just gave you an award!!! Go check out...

Deb said...

ugh, this post is gorgeous. SHE is gorgeous! i love it. is she the one that doesn't need a brother? because if she IS, if you give me 10 years, he may turn out to be a fairly suitable suitor!

your posts always instill such a sense of calmness in me. thanks.

angie said...

What a wonderful way to interweave 3 generations......I can hear the hum of the Singer, and the photos of the finished product are beautiful.....and so is your daughter!

angie said...

What a wonderful way to interweave 3 generations......I can hear the hum of the Singer, and the photos of the finished product are beautiful.....and so is your daughter!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Beautiful, all of it, beautiful.

Kellan said...

Beautifully written and beautiful photos!

Have a good weekend - Kellan

WheresMyAngels said...

She is lovely. What a beautiful way with words you have.

Denise K. said...

Beautiful photos, beautiful girl, beautiful story....tell us
more! :-)