Wednesday, September 10, 2008

baditude or gratitude

I first heard the word from my sister-in-law. She was describing her toddler. It was the perfect word for the moment, and I knew I would get a lot of use out of the word baditude.

In reference to my kids, of course. Or maybe Steve.

The honest truth is, I often suffer from a baditude.

The ironic truth is, I do not enjoy having a baditude.

The humbling truth is, I am in charge of my baditude.

The other night, Steve was hit by a bout of insomnia. He went to the basement to do some work.

I had been hit earlier by a bout of baditude, so I had a good cry after he left.

My baditude had nothing to do with him, but I guess his leaving the room gave me more excuse to throw myself a mighty fine pity party. I didn't have any fun at my party, so I decided to pray instead.

That was was pretty miserable too, until I faced my baditude and asked for some help and forgiveness.

Col 3:15-17


Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.


Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.


And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.



Another truth. I am in charge of my gratitude. I choose gratitude.

5 comments:

WheresMyAngels said...

Hmmmm, maybe I need to post that in my home:)

angie said...

Love the coined term......the scripture you chose today and the thoughts behind it. May we always leave the baditude behind. :)

Becoming Me said...

Ooooo, very well written. I love the term too. Thanks for stopping by Becoming Me

Denise K. said...

Oh, I am guilty of a "baditude" too and appreciated the reminder today! My pity parties are no fun either, so like you, I will remember to pray! Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

Linked to this post.
Now, to go live this post.

Thank you.
God uses you.