Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mrs. Smoothie? Nope.

It's been said that opposites attract. I mentioned earlier that Exaggerating Accurately is a pretty good example of our opposite natures. Another example is the yearly phenomenon known as PJ Smoothie. Steve is known by the kids at church as PJ, but as the Vacation Bible School host, he morphs into PJ Smoothie. Here are some pictures...

...flashing some churchy love gang signs...


...making a big entrance...


...ending the week with the 'surprise' pie in the face...


I really am boring in comparison. I like to read books. I prefer to sit in the back row. I'm happiest when no one notices me. I wouldn't care if I never had to speak another word in front of a listening crowd.

When Steve was first considering leaving his career to go to seminary and possibly into ministry, I asked my friend Heather if she felt 'called' to be a pastor's wife. I didn't. It scared me. She gave me very wise words.

"You are Steve's wife. He may end up a pastor some day, but you will still be Steve's wife."

I'm not married to the ministry. I'm married to my husband. He happens to be a pastor. When we were married 20 years ago, I was a student 'on break' who married a student 'on break'. Degrees, jobs, babies, another degree, a career change and 3 states later we find 20 years has gone by.

I am Stefanie
Wife of Steve only
Mom of El and Mo

But I'm not Mrs. Smoothie, I just look like her.

2 comments:

Mercy Project said...

My dad was a pastor until he retired last year. My mom said she never felt like a typical "pastor's wife" and she struggled with it at times during their 35 years of ministry together. When I was in Bible college, I often got asked if I felt "called" to be a pastor's wife (mostly by guys who felt called to be pastors!). The answer? Nope, not me. I feel called to love Jesus, and to love the family of believers, and to embrace and love people who are not yet believers. It's good to be you. That's who God made you to be, and that's who you're "called" to be. It's amazing that you can embrace that without feeling like you need to, somehow, be more than that.

stefanie said...

Wow! Thank you Mercy, you just made my day!