Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Breaking Dawn Break - 2nd and Final Attempt

This time I really am taking a break from writing about 20 Years. I think.

Go here, then here if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

I read these books because Mo was reading them. They are quite compelling. I can see how so many girls (and women!) are captivated. There are some interesting themes. It's all well written, even the one I didn't like. I guess I didn't get so emotionally caught because I was filtering my own reading in preparation to talk about it with Mo. We had a lot to talk about.

I related to Breaking Dawn on a personal level more than the others. I was a bit surprised by that. Even though I figured out a lot of what was coming, there were still some surprises. There are holes too, but I'm not going to go there now. I also have some issues with the worldview presented, but I talked about them with Mo. I'm good with that.

The thing that most intrigued me in this book was that Bella spent a lot of time figuring out her 'gift', and in that, discovering herself. Through the whole series, she did not realize that she had something to offer that was unique and powerful. Before she completely understood what it was, she began to perfect it. She got lots of help from friends too. Up to that point, she isolated herself from all but a select few. That always bothered me. I was glad that she also recognized it was something she shouldn't hide behind. She learned to use it and she learned how to put it aside.

Maybe, just maybe, Bella has reminded me of myself a bit.

My last Wall post to Rachel. Saturday night.


at 9:54pm on August 9th, 2008

done.

liked it best.







3 comments:

angie said...

Still haven't read it but appreciated your thoughts.

WheresMyAngels said...

I can't get thru it yet, liked the others but this one, I don't like :(

WheresMyAngels said...

I thought I did comment on this at the time you posted it. I was surprised that I might have missed it. But at that time I hadn't finished reading it.

I liked it, but it was not my favorite because I just think the pregnancy was way too much and the baby's food supply was too nasty for my taste. If it would of been a "typical" vampire story then that might of been ok (cause I won't touch one of those books) but it just seemed so wrong in this tale.

It is odd, because I normally focus on the "holes" in the book, but didn't find myself doing that too much, except with the werewolf's who were really shape shifters.