Monday, April 14, 2008

on Twilight

My friend Rachel saw on facebook that I was reading Twilight, and she asked me what I thought of it. Here's my answer, slightly edited:

I just finished it last night because I couldn't sleep. Probably because I wanted to finish it. I read it because Mo read it because all the teenage girls are reading it. I think she and half the girls she knows are 'in love with Edward'. I was sort of uncomfortable with the whole vampire theme before I read it, but it was an interesting twist on vampires. It was well written and enjoyable, but I can't say that I need to read any more of the series. I do want to know what happens, but I would be ok with someone just telling me. I found Bella annoying, maybe a bit too believable. Maybe that's why I don't care to read the rest. I wish she was not so compelled just by the beauty and attraction of him, that she had more of a moral struggle about becoming a vampire herself. I guess because I have teenagers, I kept thinking about how much impulses and appearances can dictate life choices, and I was hoping she would not choose what it looks like she is going to choose.

I can't stop there. As usual, the researcher in me has awakened. I decided to read the link above, and found a kindred spirit in Stephenie Meyer, even if her mom or her agent spelled her name the wrong way. She dreams books! She Googles! She's too busy!

Now I probably have to read the rest of the series. Rachel, don't tell me after all.

1 comment:

WheresMyAngels said...

I found Bella's obsessiveness with him odd and found no reason for it. To me they did not make him compelling enough for that.